Subject: How to use PCI lance cards of ANY TYPE?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/1995 22:43:25
I understand that the le driver in -current (at least) is supposed to support
the SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet card, which uses the same chipset as the
DECPCA.  I've got one of those, and also some Boca PCnet/PCI (AM79C970)
"NE2100 compatible" cards -- which at $79 are seem like a great buy.

So what the heck kernel config options do I use to make them scan?

With the SMC card, I've tried the sample from the TRINITY config file, using
the PCI BIOS to try to force the card to the IRQ 5 that the config file
shows.  No dice.

With the PCnet/PCI card, I can't think of any way at all to find out what IO
address the PCI BIOS is setting the card to -- which I suspect is also the
problem with the SMC card -- and also am somewhat curious as to what's going
to happen when the le driver expects to see an ISA drq being emulated and I
then have no idea how to find out if/which one the PCI BIOS and the card are
agreeing on.

Actually, you could see this question as a general purpose "given a PCI card
X which has no support in /sys/dev/pci, how do I find out what values to put
in the kernel config file so that the kernel will see it as an 'ISA' device?"

Thanks!

Thor