Subject: Linked files??? (was: Re: Strange thing with passwd file?)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gerry Simmons Jr. <darykon!simmons@nwnexus.wa.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/19/1995 23:02:23
Thanks to Wayne Berke I got a partial answer to my strange problem. He was
right, a lot of utilities from the install distribution sets appear as a single
file "hard linked" to several utility directory points. I don't claim to
understand what all this means. I'm no Unix guru. But I do know what a hard
link directory reference is.

I took a good look around my system, and it appears that MANY of the utilities
are hard linked to only a few files. I have no idea how this possibly works.
Is this some new 4.4BSD thing? I ran into this because I needed to set the UID
bit on ping so any user could use it. This of course made a mess of things.

Is this true of all original NetBSD 1.0 Installation Sets or only the ones that
were distributed on CD-ROM (specifically InfoMagic's BSDisc!) Anyone know what
the deal is here, and more importantly, how to fix this?

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.wa.com