Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/1995 14:12:00
Ken Hornstein writes:

> >> What if you use one window manager, and your wife uses another?
> >
> >> What if you want to use completely different X authority information betweee
> >> the two sessions?
> >
> >> Heck, what if you want the two X sessions to be under two completely differe
> >nt
> >> UID's?
> >
> >I guess I'd try to solve the problem with hardware.  Perhaps an X terminal
> >or a cheap used Sun.  Recently, someone was selling used SPARC SLCs in
> >misc.forsale.computers.workstations for $75 with no disk.  Add a small
> >disk and NetBSD, and away you go.  An old Sun 3 with a color monitor would
> >also make a good xterm.
>
> I'm sorry, but I find this to be a rather ridiculous answer.

I don't like taking turns using my computers. :-)

I see UNIX as a multiuser OS, and attempt to use it that way.

> Those diskless SLC's aren't worth shit, especially if they only come with
> 8Mb of memory (the stock configuration).  Lousy video hardware as well, and
> only black and white.  I don't think they're worth $75.

This was a rock bottom example of what is available in the used computer
marketplace.

> The main problem with the color sun 3 is finding a monitor.  Most of those old
> Hitachi monitors that came with the older Suns are really fuzzy - I get
> headaches if I use them for a long time.  And since you can't adjust the scan
> rates on those framebuffers, you need to buy either a new monitor designed for
> Suns or a good multisync monitor.

True.

> All in all, I think it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to just configure vt0
> in your kernel.

But it's a lot harder to coerce me to relinquish the computer to someone
else. :-)
--

Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  rmk@bedford.progress.com  rmk@tencats.tiac.net