Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/17/1995 01:44:03
>> What if you use one window manager, and your wife uses another?
>
>> What if you want to use completely different X authority information betweee
>> the two sessions?
>
>> Heck, what if you want the two X sessions to be under two completely differe
>nt
>> UID's?
>
>I guess I'd try to solve the problem with hardware.  Perhaps an X terminal
>or a cheap used Sun.  Recently, someone was selling used SPARC SLCs in
>misc.forsale.computers.workstations for $75 with no disk.  Add a small
>disk and NetBSD, and away you go.  An old Sun 3 with a color monitor would
>also make a good xterm.

I'm sorry, but I find this to be a rather ridiculous answer.

Those diskless SLC's aren't worth shit, especially if they only come with
8Mb of memory (the stock configuration).  Lousy video hardware as well, and
only black and white.  I don't think they're worth $75.

The main problem with the color sun 3 is finding a monitor.  Most of those old
Hitachi monitors that came with the older Suns are really fuzzy - I get
headaches if I use them for a long time.  And since you can't adjust the scan
rates on those framebuffers, you need to buy either a new monitor designed for
Suns or a good multisync monitor.

All in all, I think it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to just configure vt0
in your kernel.

--Ken