Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/1995 21:37:36
>   One thing window can't do is let you run two X sessions on different virtua
>   terminals [...].
>
>BTW, this is *exactly* the sort of thing that would be much better done
>in user-land. [...]
>
>I'm not saying this is trivial to do, but I think overall that it's a
>much better solution to have the switching in the X server and not the
>kernel.

I was thinking of the case where you wanted to have two X sessions run under
two different UID's (and with two sets of X authority information).  Believe
me, with the existance of so many virtual desktop window managers, I wasn't
saying virtual consoles are the way to go for the same user! :-)  I think with
the current state of X today, you'd either have to really change the server
code around to support this, or just end up running two copies of the server
and have some scheme to switch between the servers.

Which is better, I'm not sure about.

Please, I didn't want to start a flame war!  This is getting nearly as bad as
the call-out device flame war, or the "bad programming" flame war!  Let's all
agree to disagree, and concentrate on making NetBSD better, eh?

--Ken