Subject: [geoff@FICUS.CS.UCLA.EDU: Re: trying to port ispell 3.1.18 to NetBSD]
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/1995 16:06:19
[this message has been forwarded just in case someone else is playing
with ispell]

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 12:55:42 -0800
From: geoff@FICUS.CS.UCLA.EDU (Geoff Kuenning)
To: kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re:  trying to port ispell 3.1.18 to NetBSD

> 2) 'lseek(2)' now needs 64-bit int's (off_t)

Unfortunately, off_t doesn't exist on every system, sigh.  Does this
one just cause warnings, or does it actually generate incorrect code?
If the latter, I'm going to have to add yet another configuration
variable.  If the former, I'll just put a note in the README.

> 4) type "make" and watch a whole lot more output than you get on other
>    systems:

Hmmm, this is interesting.  My first guess (noting that your dictionary
is *huge*) was that /usr/share/dict/words contains some words with
slashes in them.  But it seems like that ought to generate error
messages in the "collecting input" phase.  These ones appear to come
from the icombine phase later on.

If you could rerun munchlist with the -D (debug) switch, it will leave
a bunch of temporary files named in all capitals.  Mail me all of
LEGALFLAGLIST and the head of ILLEGALCOMBOS (or all of it, if it's
small), and I'll at least be able to get a first-level clue.
Alternatively, if you can do so, you could tar and compress the whole
shebang and put it up for ftp somewhere, which would allow me to
retrieve it without paying uunet my next year's salary, and then I'd
have even more information for debugging.

	Geoff Kuenning	g.kuenning@ieee.org	geoff@ITcorp.com