Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/1995 01:04:21
> > also can emulate those silly HP terminals with the menu of function keys
> > on the bottom row, which is nice if you want to install patches under HP-UX
>.
> >

>It also has a screen saver... Oy vey...

Actually, I don't mind the screen saver so much, as that's one thing I miss
from pccons.  Don't have to built that into the driver itself, though - you
could have a user-mode process take care of that, like Sun's screenblank.

I hope that pcvt never does the mouse cut-and-paste like the Linux console
driver, though.

>In my opinion, a console driver
>should be functional enough to allow you to fix the system should you
>have to boot it in single-user mode and occasionally edit the odd
>file... It should also be fast lest it slow down the system in the
>event of excessive console-logging...

I think there are arguments for both -- perhaps the best thing is that we
can all choose which one we prefer?

--Ken