Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/1995 22:39:36
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>  wrote:
 > One thing window can't do is let you run two X sessions on different virtual
 > terminals (say if you want an X session, and your wife wants another).  I

Maybe I was being dopey but I could never get that to work.. XF86 would
never gracefully switch between text mode and graphics mode... Once
you had one xserver running, and went to another vty (to lets say, start
another XF86), the first X session would never return to graphics mode.

Of course, I don't run X on an i386 anymore so I don't really care anymore
but whatever..

 > also can emulate those silly HP terminals with the menu of function keys
 > on the bottom row, which is nice if you want to install patches under HP-UX.

It also has a screen saver... Oy vey... In my opinion, a console driver
should be functional enough to allow you to fix the system should you
have to boot it in single-user mode and occasionally edit the odd
file... It should also be fast lest it slow down the system in the
event of excessive console-logging...