Subject: None
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/27/1995 18:20:14
I tried to make the "Make tutorial" document on a 1.0R (i.e., 1.0 final
release as opposed to NetBSD-current) system and ran into the following:

netbsd4me:1:126 % pwd
/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make

netbsd4me:1:127 % make
groff -M/usr/share/tmac -ms -Tps tutorial.ms > tutorial.ps
tutorial.ms:172: warning: `Ix' not defined
grops:<standard input>:562: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:594: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:3327: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:3359: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:4583: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:4615: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:5995: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:6027: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:6312: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:6344: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:7622: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:7654: unrecognised drawing command `s'
tutorial.ms:741: warning: `Rd' not defined
grops:<standard input>:11227: unrecognised drawing command `s'
grops:<standard input>:11260: unrecognised drawing command `s'
tutorial.ms:1085: warning: `Rm' not defined

Anyone know what the "unrecognised drawing command `s'" errors are caused by?

This paper tries to put little sidebar "NOTE" comments into the left margin,
and I'm wondering if these errors are related to that.  When run to the
terminal (i.e., "nroff" mode) I get an attempted box with NOTE inside, but
it screws up:

          great deal more  functionality  than  Make.  Throughout  the
          text,  whenever  something is mentioned that is an important
          difference between PMake and Make (i.e.  something that will
          cause  a  makefile  to  fail if you don't do something about
          it), or is simply important, it will be flagged with a  lit-
       ---tle sign in the left margin, like this:
     |    This  tutorial  is  divided  into three main sections corre-
     | NOTsponding to basic, intermediate and advanced PMake usage. If
     |    you already know Make well, you will only need to skim chap-
       ---ter 2 (there are some aspects of PMake that I consider basic

When I let it create PostScript and print it, I get "NOTE" in a small font
in the left margin, but there's this thin line drawn from the middle of the
space between the "O" and the "T" over to the right into the first few words
of the text directly across from the "NOTE" word.  Somehow this doesn't seem
quite right ...

ObHumor: I am trying to print this out for someone I work with who keeps coming
         into my office with "make" questions.  e.g. "I can't get this to work.
         I have 3 double-colon ``clean::'' tags in my Makefile with no targets,
         but when I say ``make clean'' it only does the first one instead of
         all 3.  This happens on both SunOS and Solaris."  So I pull over the
         test setup and fire up the appropriate "make".  Works "right" (i.e.,
         the way he wants/expects it to work) every time.  I keep saying "Get
         a real O/S and a real ``make''"  (-:

	- Greg