Subject: Re: Accelerated-X on NetBSD.
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/1995 00:10:46
Charles M. Hannum writes:

>    Because the XFree86 support for my videocard is very
>    weak, I'd like to use the AcceleratedX server from XInside.  Email to them
>    resulted in a "We don't have a NetBSD version because there's no place for
>    us to advertise.  If we had that, we'd announce and release it."
>
> That's a lie.  I told Mr. Chatfield that if there were a port that I
> would help him advertise it.  He then proceeded to send me an
> announcement of a beta test version *that didn't run on NetBSD* that
> he apparently wanted to canvas NetBSD users with.
>
> My offer is still open, but I refuse to implicitly endorse products
> that don't even run on NetBSD.
>
> (The story actually gets much worse, but I'm already straying from the
> topic of the list.)

I have had correspondence with Charles, Adam Glass and Herb Peyerl
about finding a NetBSD specific area that will accept commercial
postings.  I have attached below a fragment of my mail archives, in
which I describe the posting that is referenced above.  Charles
failed to read it correctly and inferred that I wanted to poat a
message that had no reference to NetBSD.  I was just giving him an
example of the file that I later posted to comp.os.linux.announce,
bsdi-users@bsdi.com (aka info.bsdi.users, I think), and to
FreeBSD-announce@FreeBSD.org.  I thought that my introductory paragraph
made it clear that I would customise the posting for the OS environment
to which is was being sent.  This was apparently sufficiently opaque
that the point was lost, and Charles took umbrage.  I probably
shouldn't have used FreeBSD as an example.  It didn't occur to me until
just now, that this may have provoked Charles so much, that he didn't
correctly read what I wrote.

Charles and I agree on one thing.  There is no point in my
advertising a product in a NetBSD specific area unless it addresses
NetBSD.  Because we had no NetBSD specific port, or plan, the example
does not reference NetBSD.  I saw no point in having an introductory
paragraph and also changing the file.  It was an example.  It was not
the exact posting that I intended to make.  I was trying to save the
effort of making the NetBSD specific version of the file, and I used
the generic file on which all other postings and announcements were
based.

Charles has persistently ignored every paragraph that I have written
in which I say that he has misunderstood my intent, and he tends to
resort to abuse.  I have a problem with Charles.

I still have no problem with committing to a NetBSD port, with a
mechanism to reach NetBSD users specifically.  We have ways to reach
all the other users of all the other OS's, with OS-specific
information (e.g, for SCO we usually stress multi-head servers,
as they don't seem too interested in performance; for XFree86 based
environments we usually stress performance, support and ease of
configuration).  We have no way to reach a NetBSD specific or even a
*BSD generic equivalent to comp.os.linux.announce, biz.sco.announce,
freebsd-announce@freebsd.org, Linux Journal, Open Computing, System
Admin Journal, SCO Magazine, etc.

I've been asking the users that request a NetBSD port, since, ohh,
October or November, if they know where I can post to reach NetBSD
users.  No-one can recommend a direct equivalent to the other OS's.
It's that simple and it should be easy to fix.  For example, a simple
policy change to comp.os.386bsd.announce to accept commercial postings.
Heaven knows, it's hardly the highest volume news group on the net, is
it? ;-)

The Beta program is still open to people with the newly supported cards,
but it's really rather late to add a new OS at this point.  We'd probably
have to add it in another month or so, after this release is ready to
ship, if anyone can suggest a good place to post.  I do have criteria
for a "good place", and I'm willing to share that, especially if
anyone wants to help create a forum for commercial software for
NetBSD users.

Extract from my mail archives (some middle stuff omitted, if you
really care, I can include thst - I have nothing that I want to hide):