Subject: set-up for sendmail
To: Paul Goyette <goyettep@ccnet.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <danielce@ee.mu.oz.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/1995 10:24:25
Paul Goyette writes:
 > Any chance that someone out there can give me a quick tutorial on what I
 > need to do to /etc/sendmail.cf to start receiving E-mail?  It seems that
 > every incoming message gets rejected and bounced with something like
 > "configuration error - sending to self".  All help greatly appreciated.

While you can edit the /etc/sendmail.cf on your machine, this is not
really recommended unless you really need to. These days, it's pretty
rare that you should need to -- only if you have a rather unusual
setup.

Instead, the sendmail.cf is built automatically from an m4
configuration file in which you specify certain basic configuration
information: OS type, which mailers to include (smtp, uucp, local, ..),
and various other options. It's all very easy.

All the bits needed to do this, including doc and example m4 files,
are in /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/.

--
Dan.