Subject: Re: set-up for sendmail
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/1995 11:53:40
Daniel Carosone <danielce@ee.mu.OZ.AU> writes
> > Any chance that someone out there can give me a quick tutorial on what I
> > need to do to /etc/sendmail.cf to start receiving E-mail?  It seems that
> > every incoming message gets rejected and bounced with something like
> > "configuration error - sending to self".  All help greatly appreciated.
>
>While you can edit the /etc/sendmail.cf on your machine, this is not
>really recommended unless you really need to. These days, it's pretty
>rare that you should need to -- only if you have a rather unusual
>setup.
>
>Instead, the sendmail.cf is built automatically from an m4
>configuration file in which you specify certain basic configuration
>information: OS type, which mailers to include (smtp, uucp, local, ..),
>and various other options. It's all very easy.

agreed, and certainly configuration was much easier than I feared. Mind you
trying to follow RFCs by not rewriting headers, at least for mail not
directed to/from your site, is not even discussed in the Bat Book. BTW I'd
also suggest people should upgrade from the BIND 4.8.3 bundled with NetBSD
1.0 into 4.9.3, and at the same time make use of the bundled dns checking
tools, eg doc & dnswalk.

cheers,
Danny Thomas  (D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au)

ftp://ftp-boi.external.hp.com/pub/printers/laserjet/doc/4plfaq.txt
  >TCP/IP stands for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet
  >Protocol, a de facto industry-standard communication service
  >for multivendor networks built around OSI.
                                         ^^^ truly rooly?