Subject: Re: select(2) question...
To: None <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/1994 10:08:21
> Select() can test for 3 conditions: ready for reads, ready for
> writes, and the one that's got me stuck, ``exceptional conditions''.
> Can someone define the latter for me?

My understanding agrees with that of the other person who already
answered this.  For sockets, it refers to (pseudo-)OOB data arriving.
For other things, it's up to the driver....

> Specifically, I'm wondering if the closing of a file descriptor
> during the selection process generates such a condition.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The process is blocked in the
select() call; how can one of its file descriptors get closed?
select() is never restarted after a signal....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu