Subject: Re: Trouble Getting NetBSD 1.0 to Route Packets
To: x3673) <rob@sun701.nadc.navy.mil ( Rob Ginn>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/1994 21:04:06
> I have set up a NetBSD 1.0 system with 2 ethernet cards and am
> tring to get it to route between networks.  From the system,
> I can talk to either network fine, but packets do not seem to
> be getting through.

is your system configured with the GATEWAY option?
what value does the sysctl variable "net.inet.ip.forwarding" have?

IP packet forwarding is required to be disabled by default by some
RFC (the number of which currently escapes me 8-).

to enable it, configure your kernel with "options GATEWAY"
or put the line:
	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
in your rc.local.

the latter solution will enable packet forwarding.  the former will
enable packet forwarding, _and_ give you more mbuf space.  I'd say
that, if it's practical, do the former, but to test and make sure that
these solutions work for you, do the latter.

chris