Subject: Re: FDDI cards
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
From: John E. Clark <jclark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/30/1994 16:58:06
At  7:13 PM 3/30/94 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>Is there anybody working on a driver for FDDI/CDDI cards ?
>
>I should have a 3com FDDI card in about a month, but i don't know if i'll
>have enougth time to write a driver.

For a general FDDI ring, SMT is required. SMT is the station management
layer with allows for the station to come into the ring, know up-stream
and down-stream neighbors, know slot time and maintain a mib on pertenent
data.

It is more complex than a simple ETHERNET driver, which the FDDI hardware
requires as well.

So on that note, are there any publicly available source implementations
of the SMT level of FDDI interface code....

John Clark
clark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us