Subject: Getting syscons 1.2 to work with X
To: None <netbsd-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Marc van Kempen <wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/1994 10:56:39
Hi All,

I'm trying to get syscons 1.2 to work with NetBSD 0.9. I picked the
syscons that was posted a little while ago and tried it with XFree 1.3 and
2.0.
I have looked in the FAQ and newsarchive, but the only answers I got was
to do the following:
create ttyv[0-7], major 12, minor 0-7, make a symbolic link from ttyv0
to vga:
 	vga->/dev/ttyv0
and the following entries in /etc/ttys:

vga   	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pc3 off secure
ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3 on secure
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pc3 on secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3 on secure
..
..
..
ttyv7 ....

But when X starts it hangs after probing the devices. It does however
mention something about syscons and version 1.0. Does this reflect the
syscons version and would it have any impact?
BTW this is for XF 2.0, XF 1.3 does not recognize it.

Thanks for any answers,

Marc van Kempen.

PS Is there any documentation about syscons, and where is the most
recent version archived. I could only find syscons 0.2 on 386bsd
archives and syscons 1.2 was only posted, to my knowledge.