Subject: Re: pcnfsd running on current
To: None <dsndata!tower.tssi.com!helios!sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu!glass>
From: Randy Terbush <sierra!randy@hoss.unl.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/1993 21:09:00
I am CCing this to the 'netbsd-users' list since I might find more
people using pcnfs on 0.9 that don't read about current.

To summarize my initial post, I am looking for war stories regarding
the use of pcnfsd on and BSD UNIX.

----------------
  Adam> I would expect stuff looking for locking support, even the minimal
  Adam> stuff used by pcnfsd to fail due to the absence of a lock manager (i.e
  Adam> rpc.lockd).  I expect through that one will be written in the next few
  Adam> months.

I am looking forward to a PD lockd!  However, we are using FTP's PCTCP
product, which allows us to specify whether we want locking for each
mount.   The DOS applications that really require locking, luckily
have their own form.

  Adam> Also, let us know how the async-write patch goes, and drop us a copy
  Adam> when you feel comfortable with it.  We would make it a mount option,
  Adam> like most current NFS implementations.  (Hmm...will we see a comment
  Adam> from vjs?)

The change I am using was offered by Karl Denniger on the BSDI mail
list which is a simple one line change in nfs_recv.c.  Having a mount
option would also be nice, but would not work in the case of the PC's
which need it worse than any.

--
Randy Terbush
INET: randyt@cse.unl.edu