Subject: Making Kermit and UUCP lockfile conventions.
To: None <netbsd-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/1993 02:47:56
I'm learning a lot about UUCP lockfile conventions while trying to
build C-Kermit 5A(189).  The convention used by tip(1) and cu(1) in
NetBSD-0.9 is that lockfiles are kept in /var/spool/lock in files
named 'LCK..<device>', where <device> is the name of the serial port
in use (e.g., tty00).

C-Kermit, on the other hand, seems to expect lockfile names using the
serial port in use; I can't remember what the other one is at the
moment.  C-Kermit uses this convention when built using 'make bsd44'.
Note:  In order to get the correct lock directory, the command
actually has to be:

make bsd44 KFLAGS='-DLOCK_DIR=\\\"/var/spool/lock\\\"'

So, should I dig into the Kermit source to make it match tip(1)?
Or, should I update my system to match what C-Kermit thinks is the
standard BSD 4.4 lockfile system?  In which direction is NetBSD going?

The SVR4 system seems better, because it can't be broken when you have
two devices with the same major/minor numbers but different names, as
is the case with /dev/tty00 and /dev/com0.

(P.S.  I downloaded the 'ported' C-Kermit source from
alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu.  The included binary doesn't even get the lock
directory right; it uses /var/spool/uucp.)
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                              voice: (617)461-4030