Subject: Re: Oh LORD!!!
To: None <crt@tiamat.umd.umich.edu>
From: Charles Hannum <mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/15/1993 15:55:26
First of all, with your bizarre quoting, I can't tell who said what.
Secondly, forwarding private email is rude.

I presume this is you:
   > > >Reread what I said above... You *CAN'T* compare NetBSD-current.
And this is Theo:
   > > yes i can. you're comparing against freebsd, which isn't released
   > > yet either.
And this is you again:
   > How do you figure that FreeBSD has *NOT* been released yet?

I think what he's referring to is that, while there may be a FreeBSD
1.0-RELEASE, it is in fact still changing significantly before the
final version and the CD-ROM.

And if you're talking about things that have been since the `RELEASE'
was cut (like their attempt to add shared libraries), and perhaps even
if you aren't, then it is perfectly reasonable to compare it with
NetBSD-current.

That we don't make frequent binary releases is a sign that we care
more about content than packaging.  While it's a shame the packaging
isn't spiffier, I don't see it as a serious problem.

I call your problem `whichever system was released last week
syndrome'; there was a FreeBSD release more recently, and of course it
has a couple of cute things that the last NetBSD binary release
didn't.  However, switching systems all the time just to get a whizzy
cutesy toy a few weeks sooner without having to compile it yourself is
ridiculous.

Anyway, there are much more fundamental changes that, in the long run,
are much more important than having a mildly broken sound driver a
little earlier; i.e. POSIX compliance, internationalization, massive
simplification and garbage collection of machine-dependent code
(including much better autoconfig and IRQ sharing), shared libraries,
new ports, etc.

   > Again, how can you figure that FreeBSD has *NOT* been release,
   > especially we you acknowledge that NetBSD 0.9 HAS!

How can you suggest that NetBSD-current is not released?  There may
not be binaries of it available for FTP, but you can certainly get it
any time you want.

   > > >Grab a copy of
   > > >NetBSD-current, get rid of all of the bugs, and release it... That'd be
   > > >just great! ;)
   > > WHAT BUGS?
   > >
   > > Tell me which bugs we have that they have fixed, please.
   > > If you can't be specific, then it probably means you're wrong,
   > > because I know hundreds we have fixed that they have not. Remember,
   > > I'm on their changes list.
   >
   > If you don't know that NetBSD 0.9 or NetBSD-current *HAS* bugs,
   > [...]

It would be foolish to claim that either system does not have bugs.
However, you assert that the FreeBSD people have fixed a number of
bugs that we have not, yet you have produced no evidence of that.  On
the other hand, I can think of numerous bugs we have fixed that they
have not.