Subject: Re: LinkSys NSS4000 NAS w/ RM7000+PMON2000
To: Andy Ruhl <>
From: Toru Nishimura <>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 05/14/2007 11:50:06
Andy Ruhl sez;

> Hmm, nice machine. Dual gigabit ethernet controllers and 4 disks...
> Do you know if you can netboot it similar to the NSLU2?

PMON2000 is a feature rich bootloader made by the man who
ported the world first real BSD Unix to R4000.  The port was called

Started from the original PMON, PMON2000 has been acumulating
many features by importing code from NetBSD and OpenBSD.  I would
not be surprised seeing NASS4000 even boots ELF kernel on FFS

> This thing could make a really nice box. It's still a little pricey though.

The 64bit OS capable machine could be made in lower price and I feel
puzzling indeed about the wrong combination of HW.

- PM8172 is SysAD32 system controller.  By replacing it with other
  "industory grade" one like Marvell Discovery LT you can buy
  133MHz/166MHz SysAD64 frontside bus w/ DDR333 memory and
  buildin GbE.
- Having RM9120/9220(dual E9K core) could be instant win (but
  PMC-Sierra abandond the entire RM9000 line)
- then moderate replacement choice would be RM9150.

Toru Nishimura / ALKYL Technology