Subject: Re: Support for Olimex CS-EP930x board
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Ivan Vasilev <ivan@l123.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 08/01/2006 07:33:33

Thanks. Reading your entry I've found an error on our site - the board does=
 not have a CompactFlash interface as claimed. It has a SD/MMC connector in=
stead which, unfortunately, is not yet supported by any OS.=20

>=20
> > I have two questions though. The first one is technical - when the netw=
ork=20
> > media selection is left on auto, it fails to come up. When you manually=
=20
> > select a media type everything works OK. Is this a known problem and if=
 so=20
> > is it fixed in more recent versions? (I used the 3.0 release which is m=
ore=20
> > than half a year old).
>=20
> I don't know, but maybe ask that on tech-net@NetBSD.org.
>=20
>=20
> > The second question is a legal one. From my reading of the redistributi=
on=20
> > page ( http://www.netbsd.org/Goals/redistribution.html ), we(Olimex) ca=
n=20
> > distribute the boards with a NetBSD kernel preloaded in flash, as long =
as=20
> > the board's documentation includes the relevant licensing information(a=
long=20
> > with NetBSD's source code and binary installation sets). But that's my=
=20
> > reading and I will appreciate it if somebody clarifies this point.
>=20
> You can redistribute what's under the BSD license in binary only.
> Be careful with things under the GPL, which are locate in src/gnu in NetB=
SD's=20
> source.
>=20
> Of course in the long run, we seriously recommend getting your sources me=
rged=20
> into the NetBSD distribution, so any infrastructure changes and API updat=
es=20
> can be performed on your code as well, saving you the maintenance costs.
>=20
>=20
>   - Hubert

I will definitely seek legal advice before proceeding, as recommended by ot=
hers on the list ( Thanks!). And regarding a merge - the only changes neede=
d are a new kernel config file and some makefile additions to make this ker=
nel buildable by default. I will release a patch once I get the -current so=
urces to compile. It will take some time though, given the upcoming holiday=
s and the amount of work that has to be done before that.

- Ivan
"Cool cheese."; "That's no cheese. That's a warship."