Subject: Re: Linksys NSLU2 port possiblities?
To: None <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/13/2006 19:36:23
> Last time I looked the ixp425 driver in that tree is the intel written one,
> which is not BSD licensed.
>
> I think if we had a 425 driver, we would be golden.  But running on the NSLU2
> without the ethernet support would be silly.

I guess there are a number of people who have more accurate knowledge
about the up-to-date IXP status, though, I learnt around 2003/3 that IXP425
ethernet HW (NPE) was a standalone RISC processor which required its FW to
run.  The HW's programming interface was specifically designed for VxWorks
(from vague memory) own port of old BSD protocol stack.  Intel made
very weird hook to interface Linux skbuf to fit.  My conclusion at that time
was that it'd be better not to use the Qmgr/API found in Linux code to go
NetBSD road.   I guess the company has disclosed more details to licensee.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology