Subject: Re: Linksys NSLU2 port posibilities?
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/12/2006 02:36:14
--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 08:39:44PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> On 28-Dec-2005 Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> > So, anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has determined how easy
> > a port of NetBSD to this box would be.  I don't have one of these,
> > so this is just out of curiosity.
>
> I looked briefly and talked to a few other developers.  The basic problem is
> that we do not have a driver for the ethernet device in-tree.  I think it would
> be relatively trivial to get a port running on the machine, but supporting the
> onboard ethernet would be rather difficult.

I've looked at the diffs and sources provided by linksys on it and it uses
a modified redboot bootloader that loads a kernel build from a supplied
linux 2.4 kernel source.

The Ixp425 ethernet driver is found in that source tree and looks like the
same as in other linksys products. Porting it might be easy but could also
be a problem since the linux source is duplicating work for some odd
reason. Propably has to do with the 4 ports switch functionality that it
can have on one of the ports.

Cheers,
Reinoud

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1