Subject: NetBSD/PSP
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike Mallett <mike@nerdcore.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/03/2005 15:18:28
In December 2004 Sony Computer Entertainment released their first
portable gaming system, the PlayStation Portable (PSP) on the Japanese
market. It is expected to reach Europe and North America in March 2005.
I picked up a PSP in Thailand and was able to connect it to my PC over
its USB port. It has the ability to play mp3s and view jpgs off of the
memory stick. It can also play games from the memory stick, though its
primary game media is Sony's UMD.
Although I have not yet discovered a memory stick based game for the
PSP, the first thought to cross my mind was "NetBSD". :)

The PSP has some nifty hardware which I have never seen on a portable
gaming device before, such as a USB port (type "B" I think it's called -
the small one :), an IrDA port, and an 802.11b wireless network adapter.
According to a FAQ I read today, the core CPU is a MIPS R4000. The PSP
also sports 32MB RAM (Same as the PS2).

Some questions I am pondering:
1) Could the USB port potentially power a keyboard, or would this type
of port be completely one way (intended for connection to a PC or hub)?
2) Would there be any chance of booting NetBSD from the memory stick?
3) Would there be any chance of NetBSD using the wireless adapter and
running a TCP/IP stack (and maybe apache ;)?
4) Is it worth it or is it a complete waste of time? :)

The Playstation2 and Dreamcast aren't what I would call "ideal" target
platforms for NetBSD, but at least they both have keyboards and even if
it's not very practical, at least it's just plain nifty.

If the PSP's CPU is indeed a MIPS R4000 and not a hacked up MIPS like
the Playstation2's Emotional Engine is, this may be somewhat
straightforward, but I don't know much about porting an OS to mysterious
black boxes. :)

Any thoughts / comments / questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    --Mike