Subject: Re: Intel XScale NetBSD?
To: Dave Mazzoni <davmaz@mac.com>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 11/30/2004 15:11:56
>   I'm very interested in BSD for embedded systems (such as the Intel
> XScale).  I haven't found much embedded literature for BSD in embedded
> systems.  Considering they comprise many orders of magnitude MORE
> "processors" in the world, having a BSD version tailored for embedded use
> would be very nice.  Have I missed something on the net?

You may also have a look a sys/arch/arm/xscale to see if/how your particular
XScale is supported. There are also two documents that might help (sorry,
I forgot URLs): "NetBSD device writer's guide", "Porting BSD to a new
platform".

> I'm not sure
> where to start if I actually wanted to try the port myself.

Find out which of evbarm variants is most similar to your platform, make
a replica under a new name, and modify it until it works :-).

	-- Jachym Holecek