Subject: "Port" to Xbox
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: None <ussrobot@netscape.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 10/14/2003 12:26:21
Dear NetBSD,

As you may know, there is a project to put Linux on a modified xbox (1)(6). It is a great sucess, and some distrobutions (2)(3) even run as a normal xbox executable, eliminating the need for re-partitioning, etc. As NetBSD has a huge variety of ports, I feel it shouuld have a port to the xbox. The xbox is a standard legacy-free x86 computer, with an Intel Celeron 733Mhz CPU, an nVidia GPU and integrated grapics and sound, 64Mb of RAM 10/100 ethernet, and more (4). Since the xbox is a x86 PC, porting is not strictly speaking necessary, but it would be a great advantage to have a "port" that will run as a normal xbox executable, as many linux distrobutions do.

In other words: Please help xbox modders (5). I've been using Linux on my xbox for only a few weeks, and already it is tiresome.

I would be glad to help beta-test, as long as it won't baleete my data! :)

Yours truly,

Nicholas Steinberg.

(1) http://xbox-linux.sf.net/
(2) http://gentoox.shallax.com/
(3) http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/debian/
(4) http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/hardware.html
(5) http://www.xbox-scene.com/
(6) Modifying xboxes is to change the BIOS of the xbox so that it will run code unsigned by Microsoft. In the North America and Europe, it is totally legal to do so. I am not sure of the laws of other locations. For more information, see (5).