Subject: i960-CF
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: Lehel Bernadt <bl425@hszk.bme.hu>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 05/16/2003 19:53:08
Hi!

I'm interested in getting some OS running on an i960CF CPU. The processor
is in a purpose built hardware for video encoding and stuff.

The guys who hacked it together tried to put Linux on it, without success.
Apparently the Linux port was only running on i960Jx CPUs and is
unmantained since the 2.0 series.

When they asked me I thought that since NetBSD is the most portable OS
around AFAIK, I could get some help here.

So could you give me some tips about where to start, if there are people
who have the same problem, etc.?

The CF is a high-end i960, that is it has an MMU, so I reckon
theoretically it would be possible to run some decent OS on it. I don't
know if I should mess around with Linux, or try NetBSD since it's easier to
port (or not?).

Regards and TIA
Lehel