Subject: Re: NetBSD without MMU ?
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org, netbsd-ports@netbsd.org, tech-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 04/13/2002 17:54:12
On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 02:02:12PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> In the end I must agree that just using a modern CPU with full hardware
> paging MMU support (i.e. something NetBSD can easily run on or be ported
> to today) seems like it would always be a good engineering decision
> regardless of whether it increased the per-unit costs of some device
> with an embedded processor by some fraction.

There are embedded systems which cost less than $50 (electronics, power
supply, case, manufacturing costs combined).  You just can't put a "decent"
CPU on that kind of gadgets.  You may also have a very limited supply of
power (like a small battery for several years of operation).  So please
don't generalize :-)

  -jm