Subject: Re: Query to Nokia 9110 Handy/PDA
To: Christoph Plattner <christoph.plattner@alcatel.at>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 09/18/2001 17:37:32
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Christoph Plattner wrote:

> Is this handy rally intel-compatible based.
> Is it a AMD-SC400 based Chip (as it is quite a single chip
> solution, can drive matrix keyboard and LCD display, etc...
>
> Has the work started yet .. ?

	I'm not aware of anyone, but hopefully they will speak up if
	they are ;)

> I am a hobby Linux hacker (minimum spare time....) and I never
> tried NetBSD yet.
>
> Is NetBSD completely open source ?
> Or only FREE BSD ?
> What is the difference, I am confused here.

	Both are freely available open source, with a strong preference
	for BSD licences. FreeBSD focusses more on intel hardware and
	features, NetBSD on code quality and portability.

> I have also PA-RISC and SUN machines at home, and I heard
> from NetBSD there.

	I run NetBSD on my Ultra1 at home :)

> And there is the confusing third OpenBSD ?
> Can you clarify this ?

	OpenBSD was formed when a NetBSD developer split from the project
	over personal reasons. They have done some good work on security,
	but seem to be eager to import others work and take credit for it.

	I've used OpenBSD, but decided to switch back to NetBSD as it works
	better for me :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --