Subject: Re: NetBsd on MMU-less CPU's
To: None <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 06/09/2001 14:11:45
tv@wasabisystems.com wrote;

> An interesting sidenote that it's possible to make gcc and ld do some tricks
> to make an executable "scatterloadable" (that is, load across fragmented
> memory with .text and .data in multiple places).  You can have individual
> object files, or even individual functions, with their own text and data
> sections, allowing the executable to spew all over memory when loaded.
> AmigaOS used this to its advantage when loading programs....

Well I happen to know Xterminal software which was capable of 'dynamic
total size of fully featured binary was not pleasant for average
users.  Then software team developed a way to achieve dynamic loading
of separate modules devided by X11 extentions.  I have no detail how
it was done except that gcc/ld was used.  It worked charmingly.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology