Subject: Re: Port-s390
To: Sridhar Ayengar <sridhar@ikickass.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 04/02/2001 01:47:17
On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 06:09:49PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Do you yet have anyone working on a port for IBM S/390 mainframes?  I
> would be interested in writing one.  I have access to a P/390 (Genuine G5
> S/390 subsystems on PCI cards talking to each other across a PCI bus) at
> home and S/390 mainframes at school and at work.  I go to school at Marist
> College, where I was involved with the Linux/390 port, which was written
> largely by students and professors here.  I work at IBM Microelectronics,
> where I can get internal S/390 documentation (although I can't share it
> with anyone outside of IBM, but I can use it for external purposes).  Let
> me know what you all think.

Currently, I am not aware of anyone working on an S/390 port. A few people
did toy around with the Hercules emulator, but no porting effort has
begun so far. So of course it'd be great if you could start the work
on this, especially given your position.

If there's a platform that NetBSD can run on, NetBSD shall run on it
someday, it is our mission :-)

We can set up a seperate mailing list for this port to begin with;
once it gets going, we can provide the people who wrote the code
with commit access to the NetBSD CVS tree.

- Frank (speaking with his Core hat on)

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/