Subject: Re: XScale Port of NetBSD
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/21/2001 12:41:24
Hi Bruce,

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Bruce Martin wrote:
> With development boards such as the Intel IQ80310, containing the
> 80200/80312 chipset (I know! It costs serious money!), is anybody working
> on, or interested in working on a port of NetBSD for the XScale processors?
> If so, or if not, what are the reservations or issues that should be taken
> into account?

Well to answer your question pretty direct: yes! :)) ... i'm still
planning / preparing a port of NetBSD for it yes... i only dont have the
machine yet :(( ... it wont be based on the 80312 chipset though ...

Since the Xscale is known as `project SA2' internally i think it would be
good to treat it as a (allthough slightly different) SA110 first and then
narrow down on better support for it after you got at least something
running on it :)

> There is a good chance that I will need to get an Operating System running
> on the XScale, so I would like to make contact with people who have thought
> about this, or are interested in a port.

There are some ppl around here that sure are interested in it; as a matter
of fact we're in the process of changing the floating point format from
FPA to VFP allthough the Xscale doesnt support the floating point
instructions (*grumbl*).

Keep in contact!,
Cheers,
Reinoud