Subject: Re: usermode kernel
To: beez <beez@proxy.goblin.cx>
From: Karl Dietz <Karl.Dietz@triplan.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/12/2000 09:55:15
beez wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> > On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 10:58:01PM +0100, beez wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to build a NetBSD kernel that would run
> > > in usermode? In fact, would it be possible to build a kernel
> > > that would run in usermode on top of other OS's (win32, dos32,
> > > Linux, etc) ?
> >
> > Possible, probably. Worthwhile? I can't see the use.
>
> Well at first it was more of a 'can it be done' kind of thing,
> but as time progressed I do start seeing possible uses (apart
> from the fact that it would be just plain fun - but maybe I'm
> too geeky :-)
>
> possible uses could be: trying out 'dangerous' stuff in a kernel. Having an
> even more secure layer for possible malicious userspace programs (basically
> a kernel 'chroot'), if one could port the kernel to other OS's (win32) that
> would even be neater, I'd love to run a NetBSD session from a win32 dosbox
> (yeah, yeah, I know ...). As already mentioned debugging the kernel can
[ ... ]

This sounds like you should try out vmware. I've been told people had
win32 in freebsd in win32 in linux in freebsd running (or similar
configurations)

If I understood correctly vmware does hardware abstraction and
provides a TCP/IP stack to communicated between the host os and the
client os.

--
Regards
Karl Dietz