Subject: Re: New port
To: KukatMichael <Kukat@steinhilber.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 09/13/2000 11:19:59
This seems like a another good step in the direction of making NetBSD run
on every piece of hardware, just because it's there ;-)

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:33:39AM +0200, KukatMichael wrote:
> communications controller) with SCSI, 2 serial ports, and LANCE
> ethernet, this controller has its own 68000 and needs an own kernel for
> it. (This could be stolen from the original MUNIX distribution first
> :-).

A Lance onto which you need to download 68k code to make it go?
That sounds weird..

> So, how can i find some more guys being interested in ports on this
> machine, how could this port (experimental for now) included on the
> netbsd site to be "started trying" or so?

I'm sure the www guys will take care of mentioning it.

> The port name for the MIPS-based
> series could be "cadmusrc", based on the name /RC of the series. Machine
> names i know are 9600/RC and 9900/RC, i have both of them, and i don't
> know of other machines in the /RC series besides them. On the other
> hand, we could name it just "cadmus" or "pcs" and divide it into 3
> subtrees. I can't say if the hardware besides the CPU is the same, so 3
> basic trees might be better. (If someone wants to contribute m68k and
> /FX (i860) series).

Given previous names, I would suggest either "cadmusmips" or "pcsmips".
The 68k version would then be "cadmus68k" or "pcs68k". This keeps
things in tune with, for example, "news68k" and "newsmips".

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD Sales, Support & Service. http://www.wasabisystems.com/