Subject: Re: Intel i960 port
To: None <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel@kw.igs.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 03/21/2000 01:00:22
Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>That's according to the book.  There was a rumor that at least the early
>CA parts had what looked/behaved very like a fully functional MMU
>(totally unfounded of course ... :-).

Sure you're not thinking of the K series? (KA: bare, KB: float, MC: float
+ MMU). IIRC they initially had a common die. The CA was the superscalar
core, and I don't think there were ever any floating-point or MMU
instructions among any of the superscalars (C and H series).

I think only the MC & MX had MMUs, and all the rest don't.

>>From the webpage:
> There are a number of variants of the i960 architecture that include
> support for VM. Vendors often shipped Xterminals (ex: a company
> called Labtam) with that i960 processor. The i960 is also found in
> printers and routers.

I have HP and Affinity X terminals that also use the CA. I've still never
seen an MC.

--
Kevin Schoedel
schoedel@kw.igs.net