Subject: Re: Intel i960 port
To: <>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 03/21/2000 15:52:02
Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Gregory McGarry wrote:
> >
> > >From the webpage:
> >
> > > There are a number of variants of the i960 architecture that include
> > > support for VM. Vendors often shipped Xterminals (ex: a company
> > > called Labtam) with that i960 processor. The i960 is also found in
> > > printers and routers.
> >
> > Labtam's xterminal business was purchased by Tektronix several years ago,
> > and Tektronix sold their xterminal business to NCD.  An employee at NCD
> > has stated that the technology is old, not supported, and all technical
> > knowledge has been lost.
> >
> > In any case, the labtam terminals have CA processors, which AFAICT
> > do not have an MMU.
>
> That's according to the book.  There was a rumor that at least the early
> CA parts had what looked/behaved very like a fully functional MMU
> (totally unfounded of course ... :-).

Some pc532 users will probably remember that if you ordered a 32gx32
(the embedded CPU with a '532 core) that was rev C or lower that you
actually got a fully functional 32532 - newer 32gx32's had the (from
memory) MMU control interface disabled.  The batch of 6 or 7 that were
built in Melbourne, Aus all had 32gx32's and we saved nearly $AUS1k per
CPU doing things this way.

Simon.