Subject: Re: GameBoy Port
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: David Edwards <dpe@clark.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/28/2000 12:48:20
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jon Gerhart wrote:
> > I am interested in porting the GameBoy platform to NetBSD. I own the
> > neccesary compilers and such for this kind of work. Let me know what you
> > think, Jon Gerhart
>
> "Would be cool" :-)
>
> Though I'm not sure of what real use this is - what means of IO does the
> GB have? Keyboard? Ethernet? How much RAM? What screen? PCMCIA?
> (I should do more gaming... :-)

The Gameboy has a bastardized (Z80 derivative) processor, a low-res LCD
display, a couple buttons, a speaker, a very strange
(nothing-like-RS-232) serial port, and a plug-in for a proprietary
RAM/ROM card. You can find out just about anything you want to know about
the Gameboy at http://home.hiwaay.net/~jfrohwei/gameboy/home.html ...
When last I checked, it even had links to people using Gameboys as
controllers for robotics experiments.

If nothing else, porting to this platform would be a way cool hack, even
cooler than hacking Linux to run on a Palm Pilot. I will suggest that the
lack of anything remotely resembling a MMU may cause some non-trivial
problems in the porting process, but I'm certainly not going to say it
can't be done. :) It may be a good idea to track down the UZI project,
which was a UNIX-y OS targeted at the Z80. (It ended rather a lot of years
ago, so you may have problems finding information.)

(He may be referring to a color gameboy or super gameboy that varies from
this in some non-trivial manner, of course...)