Subject: Re: m88k system call convention
To: NetBSD Ports Discussion List <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/08/2000 14:56:10
> I just happen to have right here in front of me (well it was on the
> floor behind me until a second ago :-) a copy of the 88open Consortium
> "Object Compatibility Standard" (release 1.1, April 1990); and a copy of
> the "Binary Compatibility Standard" (also r1.1, Apr.1990); as well as
> the "Networking Supplements" and "X Window System Supplements" for each;
> and some various errata sheets.  The whole pile (2" of 8.5x11 paper) is
> free to anyone working on such compatability for NetBSD if you help pay
> for the shipping to your location (or pick it up here in Toronto).

I would love to have this information if no one else has claimed it yet.
I'd be happy to pay for shipping to me.

> The technical chair of these standards was a Motorola person and I'm
> certain that DG was a member of 88open too.

DG definitely paid attention to 88Open--at least, they did when I was
working in RTP in 1989.  I'm pretty sure that 88Open defined COFF,
though, and not ELF.  At least in earlier versions.

The calling convention for the DG ROMs, at least, follows the
conventions in the 88100 manual: (from memory) first 9 parameters
in r1-r9, return code in r1, etc.

-allen