Subject: Re: m88k system call convention
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/08/2000 15:09:09
On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 01:42:12PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I'm 99% sure Motorola ported their SVR4 to mvme88k, and if we're going
> to go ELF I strongly suggest we use whichever calling convention they
> did.

100% sure. I've been unable to get my mvme88k box to boot yet, but I
have new hints that I may need to reseat some boards.

SVR4 will be my OS for a while, as the ethernet board I have uses
a proprietary protocol, so unless I can find a cheap one... I'll be
running standalone for a while (or PPP).

> One would hope that Data General's "SVR4" (DG/UX) also did the same
> thing Motorola did, but gosh, why do I suspect we have one of those
> cases here where one "SVR4" for a given architecture can't run the
> other "SVR4"'s binaries? :-)

Moto was pushing 88Open pretty hard for a while. I doubt they would
have missed that.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown