Subject: Re: m88k system call convention
To: None <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/08/2000 13:42:12
On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 09:49:32AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:48:26 +0900 (JST)
>  nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp (Toru Nishimura) wrote:
>
>  > I'm running research about NetBSD port on OMRON luna88k.  I looked
>  > through library codes of LUNA Mach2.5 and OpenBSD/m88k, and found that
>  > they use different calling convention for system call.  My Q is which
>  > way should I use for NetBSD/m88k?
>  >
>  > - LUNA Mach2.5
>  >    issue "tb0 0,r0,128" after storing the system call number in r9.
>  >
>  > - OpenBSD/m88k
>  >    issue "tb0 0,r0,128" after storing the first 3 argments in r10,r11,r12,
>  >    and system call number in r13.
>
> I guess the question boils down to: what is the normal function calling
> convention for the m88k?

I'm 99% sure Motorola ported their SVR4 to mvme88k, and if we're going
to go ELF I strongly suggest we use whichever calling convention they
did.

One would hope that Data General's "SVR4" (DG/UX) also did the same
thing Motorola did, but gosh, why do I suspect we have one of those
cases here where one "SVR4" for a given architecture can't run the
other "SVR4"'s binaries? :-)