Subject: Re: HPPA Port Interest...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/18/1999 17:47:27
On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 05:01:16PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 11:00:25PM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
> >
> > Feico Dillema writes:
> > - Anyway, for a NetBSD-port; should we start on what's there from
> > - OpenBSD, i.e. help that porting effort further and later with the
> > - gained experience and knowledge move to a NetBSD port. Or does
> > - it make more sense to start directly now on getting a kernel
> > - to boot on these machines from NetBSD-sources.
> >
> > 	Well, it had been my plan to work from the OpenBSD
> > sources and get something working, later backporting it to
> > NetBSD (the two OS's don't appear to have diverged _that_ much
> > yet..)
>
> I've integrated back the OpenBSD pmap and bootstrap to a NetBSD kernel
> a few months ago (pre-UVM), then I stopped working on it when I realised that
> OpenBSD didn't work on my machines as well, and that getting it to work would
> require large changes to the bootstrap and I didn't have time nor docs to do
> it at the time.
>
> I can provide you all my sources if you want.
> What HP model do you have ? Maybe it'll boot on your machines ...

I haven't got a full inventory of what's around here in HP hardware
that will blow up at Y2K (meaning I can redirect that hardware to me ;),
but I think there's at least a whole bunch of HP9000/735 and 755's
(and I think I heard mention of 720's too). If I can get to the right
people next week, I think I could get one of each model in my hands
to experiment with.

Feico.