Subject: Re: HPPA Port Interest...
To: None <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/17/1999 23:00:25
Feico Dillema writes:
- Anyway, for a NetBSD-port; should we start on what's there from
- OpenBSD, i.e. help that porting effort further and later with the
- gained experience and knowledge move to a NetBSD port. Or does
- it make more sense to start directly now on getting a kernel
- to boot on these machines from NetBSD-sources.

	Well, it had been my plan to work from the OpenBSD
sources and get something working, later backporting it to
NetBSD (the two OS's don't appear to have diverged _that_ much
yet..)

	But, I've been having a  hard time getting the
documented cross build environment going on OpenBSD.  It seems
that no one verified that the cross-tools would still build when
they moved to egcs.. :-(

- If there are people starting work on a NetBSD-port, I'd be happy
- to provide some infrastructure; setup preliminary WWW-pages with
- info and docs and a mailinglist to get the people together that
- like to give things a try. As no technical mastermind has presented
- itself to do most of the hard work on the NetBSD kernel for us ;},
- the ---one model workstation per person investigation--- works
- probably better if the different persons (potentially inexperienced
- with these things like me) have a decent way to talk/complain
- to each other and share info/experience.

	I too can provide such infrastructure.. :-)  Or perhaps
we can impose upon the NetBSD Foundation to host a port-hppa
list (and maybe we'll get somewhere this time.. :-)

	A communications channel is critical at this point..

- Also, I'd like to see a CVS repository with (non-)working code
- for the hppa port as soon as possible, making it easier for more
- people to contribute. We could host that on our server to. I think
- also some syncronization is needed on what code-base to start from,
- i.e. NetBSD-1.4 or -current.

	My OpenBSD work was/is based on the 2.6 kernel.  My
NetBSD work will likely be based off of the -current kernel,
when that time comes.  But first I need to learn about building
a cross compile environment on NetBSD.  Folks over in
current-users say that nearly the entire NetBSD OS can be cross
compiled... Now I/we just need to figure out how..

	Enjoy,
		Eric

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	There has been an alarming increase in the number of things