Subject: Re: HPPA Port Interest...
To: None <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org, tage@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/17/1999 11:23:49
On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 06:01:44PM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:

> 	If anyone is wanting to help/work in the kernel, a good
> starting point would be reading the kernel style guide out of
> the source tree, and then tracking down as much information as
> you can find on how _one_ model workstation boots. (I'm going to
> be wacking on the 720 in a week or so..)  Once you've got the
> information, build a cross compile tree (on a _fast_ machine)
> and start trying to make things netboot..
>
> 	Ok, I've nattered enough, time to put my money where my
> mouth is.. :-)

Good to hear there are quite some people interested even though
no future port-maintainer has really come forth, but then again
that might be a problemn that solves itself once more people
start on the port and gain experience with it.

Anyway, for a NetBSD-port; should we start on what's there from
OpenBSD, i.e. help that porting effort further and later with the
gained experience and knowledge move to a NetBSD port. Or does
it make more sense to start directly now on getting a kernel
to boot on these machines from NetBSD-sources.

If there are people starting work on a NetBSD-port, I'd be happy
to provide some infrastructure; setup preliminary WWW-pages with
info and docs and a mailinglist to get the people together that
like to give things a try. As no technical mastermind has presented
itself to do most of the hard work on the NetBSD kernel for us ;},
the ---one model workstation per person investigation--- works
probably better if the different persons (potentially inexperienced
with these things like me) have a decent way to talk/complain
to each other and share info/experience.

Also, I'd like to see a CVS repository with (non-)working code
for the hppa port as soon as possible, making it easier for more
people to contribute. We could host that on our server to. I think
also some syncronization is needed on what code-base to start from,
i.e. NetBSD-1.4 or -current.

I think at the minimum a BOF mailinglist to keep the interested people
together and talking would be a good thing...

Feico.