Subject: Re: Defragmenting a NetBSD drive
To: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bosch.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 09/16/1999 12:24:28
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Guenther Grau wrote:

> Ok, you are right. All the processes doing a opendir()/readdir()
> need to fail when the directory changes behind their backs.
> So a real solution (I wonder what I forgot now :-) would be
> to return E_DIRWASCHANGED on readdir() in this case....

Spending programmer time to save computer time is often a bad idea.
In this case I think it'd be a really bad idea; we make a lot of
programmers do more work, and this situation continues into the
future, all to save a few blocks on a disk?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org