Subject: Re: Why there is no NetBSD port for i960 ?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/14/1998 14:42:41
> Well, the i960 lacks an MMU...

Supposedly the fabled "i960MC" was going to support a full workstation
environment, but it was incredibly CISCy thing -- a real Son Of i432,
except implemented as trap-libraries like Alpha PALcode. Dunno if they
actually sold any before it was axed; there were plenty of preliminary
manuals though.

Certainly all of the i960's that you can actually purchase today are
designed for printers and routers and I/O controllers, and don't have
virtual memory.

Now the Hitachi SH on the other hand... SH3 has virtual memory because
Windows CE needs it. But the SH instruction set was designed by a bunch
of assembly programmers throwing darts at a white board...

How about HP/PA. OpenBSD claims to be working on it. While I have no great
love for HP/UX, the pa-risc machines I have used were all quite snappy for
their era, at least compared to Solaris boxes.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com