Subject: Re: Why there is no NetBSD port for i960 ?
To: Sera <esha@sharada.ncore.soft.net>
From: Randy Devol <randyd@rahul.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/14/1998 10:46:24
At 04:02 PM 12/14/98 +0100, Guenther Grau wrote:
>Sera wrote:
>>
>> Why there is no NetBSD port for i960 platform ? Is there anybody doing
>> it  Or decided not to do ? If so what is the reason for not doing it ?
>
>Bcc'ed to tech-ports.
>
>AFAIK, there is no technical reason. It's just missing a person
>with the needed hardware and the technical skills and the time
>and motivation to do it. :-)
>
>Feel free, to go ahead :-)

Does the i960 have a memory manager?  Some kind of MMU is (virtually)
required for any real UNIX port.  Linux has a 68K port that works around
this limitation but I don't know how they did it. (Did they add software or
remove features?)

It also helps to have a semi-standard hardware platform to put some hard
limits on the features you can implement.  (i.e. scsi, IDE, or RAM disks,
etc.)

-=O=- Randy

In "A Scanner Darkly," was Philip K. Dick foreshadowing Web commerce:
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's
hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other
forever from our living rooms."