Subject: Re: Acorn Archimedes port?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 04/08/1998 00:23:03
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> >In case you're curious, these machines can't run NetBSD/arm32, because the
> >ARM2 and ARM3 don't have 32-bit mode.
>
> Umm, silly me for asking, but does that have implications for the CPU
> instruction set, and if so, will gcc generate code for it? If not, the
> first place I'd go is to a compiler guru.

Yes, it affects the instruction set, in that there are instructions that
only exist in 32-bit mode (mostly PSR-related -- the PSR having been part
of the PC in the old days). GCC, though, is quite happy to generate code
for all ARMs as long as you tell it what you want (-mcpu=arm2, in this
case).

--
Ben Harris
Computer Officer, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.