Subject: Re: SGI port?
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 06/27/1997 18:03:29
>> Unfortunately SGI is yet another computer company that's walked down
>> the "solutions" path of good intentions.  [...DEC...Sun...]

> I can't believe I'm defending DEC, buuuttt .... it seems like DEC is
> trying to reverse this trend.  There is a lot of information
> available on the Alpha, for example.

On Alpha-the-cpu, or on DEC machines based on Alpha processors?  I know
a site running a dual-processor 2100 (I think); would I be able to get
the info necessary to write an OS for it without having to go into
nondisclosure?  If not, they haven't really improved anything.

Consider/compare Sun: there's lots of info on SPARC-the-processor.  But
that doesn't mean you can find out how a Sun Ultra works in enough
detail to do an OS port to it, even though it's a SPARC machine.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca