Subject: Re: NetBSD/next (was: Re: NeXTBSD - 4.4BSD for NeXTstep machines)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: David W. Rankin Jr. <rankin@ewl.uky.edu>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/09/1996 14:49:48
> Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 07:02:17 -0500
> From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
> To: netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re:  NetBSD/next (was: Re: NeXTBSD - 4.4BSD for NeXTstep machines)
> Cc: chk@psisa.com

> > I'm already working on parts of what may be the start of a port at
> > some point (evaluating feasibility and planning) and am looking for
> > others willing to help.

> You and me and at least one other person I know of :-)

> I currently know how to talk to screen, keyboard, and Ethernet; this
> should be enough to build something that will boot and run diskless.
> The major thing I'm lacking at present is time to work on it.  I'm at
> the stage where I'm about to wade into one of the other
> 68040-supporting ports with a machete and see if I can lobotomize it to
> the point where it at least comes up far enough to fail to exec init.

Given how much the m68k ports have in common, this IMHO is the right
way to go. I'd suspect we could piece together a pretty decent
port.  I can provide an ftp site for mirroring for right now,
unfortunately I can't do cvs for a tree (since I'll be at a new
job soon *crosses fingers*, with no easy net access left). Also, I've
set up a mailing list, netbsd-next@ewl.uky.edu, if it'd be more
convenient to move the discussion off netbsd-ports. [Send "subscribe
netbsd-next" as the body to majordomo@ewl.uky.edu to subscribe.]

Now who wants to be port-master? :)

> > I'm currently looking at ripping some of the Plan9 pieces out and
> > recycling them for NetBSD/next.  Or at least intelligently learning
> > from Plan9.  (Plan9 has been ported to the NeXT platform and the also
> > support the mono graphics).

> Plan9 source is available free?  Where?

Unless I am seriously mistaken, plan9 _isn't_ "free", which means we
need to be careful about "ripping" anything. Of course, intelligent
learning is an excellent idea on its own... (If plan9 is in fact free,
then I'd LOVE to find that out too. A plan9 port to the Macs would
work... ;)

David

P.S. If anyone in the Central Kentucky area is reading and wants to
help with such a port (like hardware loans, etc), email me.

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.  Technical Support, Engineering Workstation Laboratory
   rankin@ewl.uky.edu   PGP Key via http://www.ewl.uky.edu/rankin/key.asc