Subject: Re: NetBSD/next (was: Re: NeXTBSD - 4.4BSD for NeXTstep machines)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Christian Kuhtz <>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/09/1996 09:34:44
der Mouse wrote:
> > I'm already working on parts of what may be the start of a port at
> > some point (evaluating feasibility and planning) and am looking for
> > others willing to help.
> You and me and at least one other person I know of :-)

Cool :).. get them in touch with me so I can add them to the ports-next
list which will be created on Monday.

> I currently know how to talk to screen, keyboard, and Ethernet; this
> should be enough to build something that will boot and run diskless.

Hmm, what we really need is serial. At this point I'd rather have that
available than screen/keyboard, because I only have one set of
monitor/keyboard/mouse, but three spare '030's in the cube :).

> The major thing I'm lacking at present is time to work on it.  I'm at
> the stage where I'm about to wade into one of the other
> 68040-supporting ports with a machete and see if I can lobotomize it to
> the point where it at least comes up far enough to fail to exec init.

Well, when you get a chance, I'm sure we all would more than appreciate
your help!

> > I'm currently looking at ripping some of the Plan9 pieces out and
> > recycling them for NetBSD/next.  Or at least intelligently learning
> > from Plan9.  (Plan9 has been ported to the NeXT platform and the also
> > support the mono graphics).
> Plan9 source is available free?  Where?

No, but I think it'd be nice to look at Plan9 to find out how the NeXT
hardware works, since they've written drivers for a lot of stuff on the
NeXT -- first thing we need to do is probably contact the Plan9 group and
possibly find out where they got their information from... is behaving rather strangely lately, but that's where
the info about the distribution resides..

 | _ \/ __/|  \   Christian Kuhtz, Pencom Systems Administration Group
 |  _/\__ \| \ \  <>                  (303) 924-0510
 |_|  /___/|_|__\ on-site at IBM Government Systems, Boulder, Colorado