Subject: Re: NetBSD/next (was: Re: NeXTBSD - 4.4BSD for NeXTstep machines)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Christian Kuhtz <chk@psisa.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/09/1996 09:34:44
der Mouse wrote:
> > I'm already working on parts of what may be the start of a port at
> > some point (evaluating feasibility and planning) and am looking for
> > others willing to help.
>
> You and me and at least one other person I know of :-)

Cool :).. get them in touch with me so I can add them to the ports-next
list which will be created on Monday.

> I currently know how to talk to screen, keyboard, and Ethernet; this
> should be enough to build something that will boot and run diskless.

Hmm, what we really need is serial. At this point I'd rather have that
available than screen/keyboard, because I only have one set of
monitor/keyboard/mouse, but three spare '030's in the cube :).

> The major thing I'm lacking at present is time to work on it.  I'm at
> the stage where I'm about to wade into one of the other
> 68040-supporting ports with a machete and see if I can lobotomize it to
> the point where it at least comes up far enough to fail to exec init.

Well, when you get a chance, I'm sure we all would more than appreciate
your help!

> > I'm currently looking at ripping some of the Plan9 pieces out and
> > recycling them for NetBSD/next.  Or at least intelligently learning
> > from Plan9.  (Plan9 has been ported to the NeXT platform and the also
> > support the mono graphics).
>
> Plan9 source is available free?  Where?

No, but I think it'd be nice to look at Plan9 to find out how the NeXT
hardware works, since they've written drivers for a lot of stuff on the
NeXT -- first thing we need to do is probably contact the Plan9 group and
possibly find out where they got their information from...
http://plan9.att.com/ is behaving rather strangely lately, but that's where
the info about the distribution resides..

Regards,
Chris

 | _ \/ __/|  \   Christian Kuhtz, Pencom Systems Administration Group
 |  _/\__ \| \ \  <chk@psa.pencom.com>                  (303) 924-0510
 |_|  /___/|_|__\ on-site at IBM Government Systems, Boulder, Colorado